Our ride last Sunday was to Fourteen Locks, just outside Newport. Even though it was Valentines Day the sunshine won and 11 cyclists turned out. It was a glorious February day, sunny and cold.
Fourteen Locks is part of the Monmouth and Brecon canal system, It was started in 1792 and the locks were constructed to cope with the drop of 157 feet in just over 1/2 mile. Quite an engineering feat and all dug and built by gangs of navvies.
The canal was mainly used for transporting pig iron form the iron works outside Abergavenny down to the docks in Newport. But canals had a relatively short life and the transporting of heavy goods was taken over by the railways. So from about 1850 the canal went into decline.
However in the 1970 volunteers started work on restoring the lock system and its still ongoing.
The visitor centre has a cafe and is a venue for art exhibitions.
All the following pictures were taken from the web or the Fourteen Locks website.
Here's the route