© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Glastonbury weekend


Last weekend was the clubs weekend ride around Glastonbury and as some were camping I decided to take the camper.  When I went to fill up with fuel on Thursday ready for the off on Friday, and as I started to leave the garage the engine management light came on and stayed on.  Looking at the manual it told me to take it to a main dealer for checking and not to drive far.  So thats what I did and it took them three days to sort it out.  There are too many electrical sensors in todays vehicles.
So the camper wasn't an option for the weekend and I booked into a B&B and drove down in the car.



Today Glastonbury is famous for its festival, but it's been a site for pilgrimages since the middle ages visiting the Abbey and the Tor.  Some believe that the chapel there was built by Joseph of Arimathea when he came there after the crucifixion of Christ bringing with him the Holy Grail.  Others believe that it is connected to King Arthur.  But whatever you believe there is evidence to show that the site has been inhabited since the Neolithic times. 

Nowadays it is a unique place and I've never come across a town like it in the UK.

The Tor







Stunning views of the Somerset Levels from the Tor.








It has a huge selection of weird and wonderful shops 

[picture by club member]


The monument in the centre is a popular meeting point.


There were 17 on the weekend and our rides included one to Burnham on Sea





The Sunday ride was to Cheddar Gorge  with a lunch stop in Wells.

[Web picture]


As you can see we were blessed by wonderful weather for the whole weekend.

]picture by club member]


In Wells there was a food festival just the ticket for hungry cyclists




I think this mural sums up the ethos of our club as the company, rides and weather were good.


 [picture by club member]






6 comments:

  1. You did do well with the weather Dave!

    As you say, the towns up round that way are fascinating places, but Wells is top of the pile for me (oh and Bath as well...).
    Good turn out too, 17 riders is a good number - plenty of fun and chat to be had!

    Bad luck with the camper though, these modern engine management systems can be a right pain. Sometimes the engine light coming on can be something very cheap and easy to fix, sometimes it's some magic box of tricks that costs a bomb, so I hope it was the former.
    Great post and Good photos too!

    Best wishes
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the management systems are a pain and they could give me no definite reason for this malfunction. After googling the problem I think it was possibly down to my driving style as I tend to be very light footed on the accelerator and I dont think the exhausts had engine had properly warmed up so when I put fresh diesel in in baffled the mixture sensors. It could have been many things, but its fixed and runs ok. As a younger friend said "stop driving like an old fart".

      Delete
  2. Oh this is so interesting...Especially the part about Joseph of Arimathea. You know I'm a Christian and anything pertaining to the Bible interests me. I would love to have seen that in person. Thanks for taking me on these bike rides with you.

    Sorry about your camper, but I prefer B&B myself...HaHa..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many spiritual stories connected to Glastonbury and there has to be good reasons for an Abbey to be built there.

      Delete
  3. I love the Sugar Doll mural in the last shot it is very timely now with Hallow's Eve approaching. I've been itching to paint one! What a fabulous weekend 17 friends to hang with, and a ride through that Cheddar Gorge WOW..what an amazing landscape.
    Keeping a vehicle running is one of the biggest expenses I have to deal with in my simple life...and a major drain on my mental well being as it drives me nutz to have to keep repairing the same thing over and over only to find out the mechanic I was trusting was using cheap parts and that was the problem all along! Glad you got yours repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sondra, it was a good weekend of exercise, fun and good banter. With a couple of beers thrown in as well.

    ReplyDelete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave