© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Walking to the University

My history group had a  visit to the book collection at the University Special Collections and Archives section.  The Librarian gave us a tour  and showed us some old books and maps.  One of the oldest book there was printed in 1475 and is good condition.  The printing is as clear as that of todays books.  It was exciting to hold and look at these old books.  This section of the Library is open to all and anyone can look at, but not take away, any of the books on their vast catalogue. 

My way from the bus stop to the Library  takes me through some parks by the Civic centre and University so I just snapped these on my phone.  Its so easy to take familiar places for granted and not really appreciate how nice it looks.








This is part of the old Glamorgan canal and goes to the docks, but much of it has been diverted underground.  If only Cardiff had kept all its old canals!!










7 comments:

  1. Great photos Dave, and some gorgeous colour in those flower beds.

    Very true what you say about taking the familiar for granted, quite often we really don't appreciate, or even notice, what is on our doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mick, yes the colours were good and the phone camera is so handy. There's a lot to be said for being a tourist in your own town and discovering local history and attractions.

      Delete
  2. It is so easy to overlook the beauty if what we see daily...realy wonderful spring photos. Curious to know what was the title of that book? WOW amazing that it is over 500 yrs old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sondra, I've now added a link to their website. It was a history book written in Latin here's the link http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/special-collections/explore/collection/incunabula.
    As you can imagine it was a fascinating and exciting visit and available to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic to be able to see such books.
    For years when I returned to Edinburgh I could see nothing to take pictures off, it was all too common.
    Now if I ever get back I would see lots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr A I also think age has a lot to do with with what we notice and appreciate, when you're younger there are often other things on our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People see lots of things everyday but don't often "look" and take in a great deal....pressure of everyday living gets in the way plus I think you are right about the age thing....

    ReplyDelete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave