© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Friday, June 08, 2018

A Vale pootle.

Having been away I've not done much cycling in the last month so with the good weather it's time to get back into it again.  If I've been off the bike for a while I like to have a few rides by myself first before I go out with the group, just to get myself back up to being confident that I can keep up.

Also riding alone gives me the opportunity to stop and take some photos.

The vale of Glamorgan has many small villages  and some interesting houses.  This one in St Georges,  and looks as if its Elizabethan in style but has been renovated over the years.



Its church dates from the same period.



This farmhouse  is built in the Welsh longhouse style.



Meadows with wild flowers in are becoming rarer.



Now this goes back 6000 plus years and goes to show how long the Vale has been inhabited.  This burial chamber was originally covered by a huge mound of earth and was a communal burial place.  Its aligned so that the entrance faces the rising sun.



These youngsters were very friendly.




Leaving the Vale  you come into the Cardiff Bay area and although its a huge development they have included many  cycle paths.









At the moment the Bay is host to the Volvo Ocean race 
But they were way out in the Bristol Channel when I passed through.



Its always good to have a cuppa !!


12 comments:

  1. Some great fotos there.
    Those Barrows are amazing, at least the farmer has left the centre core!
    Love the yachts at sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few in this area so it just goes to show how long people have lived here. Cardiff was big port but only since the 1900's.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Dave, and exactly what pootling is all about, taking in and making sense of the surroundings, seeing what's going on and so on.
    I'm a bit wary around cows of any age I must admit - mostly they are friendly and nosy, but a surprising number of people get trampled by cows every year (mostly dog owners probably though) so I give 'em a wide berth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice Mick and good to do but I do miss not having company on a ride as there is no one to share the experience with . A friend was attacked by a herd of cows when she was walking her dog on NT property. She was very lucky as she was airlifted to hospital and was in for weeks. Apparently the NT were at fault. But its wise to be cautious.

      Delete
  3. Great shots Dave! It's a good idea to go alone as you said to be able to stay in shape and stop when you can...Amazing old church and church yard. Wow attacked by cows that must have been horrid, hope your friend has fully recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vale has a lot of history and some very interesting places. My friend fully recovered thanks. Hope your trip is going well.

      Delete
  4. You live in such a beautiful part of the world! Your trip was amazing, and so is the Vale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison, I imagine that sometimes we all envy where someone else lives, I know that I do when I read your blogs and other travellers, although its usually on a cold wet day.

      Delete
  5. When I look at the sheer extent of all that development it makes me wonder where wildlife can go any more. The bicycle paths are doubtless great for humans, but pay scant attention to any other life form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, when the Bay development was being planned I was against it as it was on a Site of Specific Scientific Interest [SSSI] and thought that the birdlife especially would suffer. But as a result of the development going ahead the developers were forced to create replacement reserves and these were the Newport Wetlands and the Goldcliff reserve and once established these reserves have far far more birdlife and a huge range of species more than there ever was on the old Cardiff Bay. As for other wildlife I'm not sure but urban foxes flourish as do otters. So sometimes with careful planning humans and wildlife can benefit, and many new housing estates are now designed in corporation with the RSPB to cater for wildlife and birds. But it can be a very emotional issue.

      Delete
  6. Some nice images Dave.... Most of my riding is completed solo these days and in some ways I prefer it as I can ride at my own pace etc....
    Having said that it is always nice to do a ride with a fellow rider now and then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to ride with a group and our club is good in that we never drop someone and because of our ages our pace is slowish anyway. But sometimes its nice to wander on your own and stop when and where you fancy. What fantastic weather we're having.

      Delete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave