© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Scotland trip....... the last post.

From Inverness it was through the Cairngorms, leaving the Highlands,  to Edinburgh.

We were in Edinburgh last year for a week so we didn't go into the City, just stayed  around the campsite on the banks of the Firth of Forth and caught up with all the domestics of being on the road for a while.



Leith marina 


Leith is now the home base of the Royal Yacht Britannia, which is now privately owned and as such they charge to go on it.  But they also dont let you get near it. 


This was just outside the campsite and views across the Firth. 



On leaving Edinburgh we stopped off at Durham for a few days to visit the city and Beamish Museum.

Durham is a great cathedral city with interesting walks around it.











There is so much to see and do in Beamish so I've just included a few shots.  Its a living museum and everyone is in period costume.  Its well worth visiting and we spent 6 hours there and the time just flew.












From Durham it was a long drive down to Andover to visit our daughter and family and then after a couple of days of helping them with the garden it was back home for the end of the month Bank Holiday.

I've only just managed to put these posts together and that was mainly down to it being a rainy day and being confined indoors.  I read many "Road Blogs" from travellers in the US and I have great admiration for them as they put together their posts as they go along, how they manage it I dont know, as at the end of each day on the road I was more than ready for my bed.





5 comments:

  1. You had a right old tour around on that trip Dave, just what a good road trip is all about!
    I wonder if in the future there will be a living museum set in the current period?! People taking photos of those 'old fashioned' diesel powered buses and so on!
    It was a shame when Britannia was pensioned off I must admit, but I'm glad it hasn't gone abroad to be some rich person's play thing or whatever. A beautiful looking boat for sure.
    I don't know how people blog so quickly and regularly either, I'm usually about a week behind and it takes me ages to do an update. It's the same with Vloggers on Youtube - how they film a load of stuff then edit it all and upload it in such a short space of time amazes me! I want to try video but it's all the computer work involved in the editing that puts me off.

    A good record of your trip across your posts there Dave, very interesting to read and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting comment about the current period Mick, as the museum is in the process of reconstructing a 1950 "estate". It was a very enjoyable trip and really I was in no rush to get home.

      Delete
  2. Aye Muirhouse campsite and this on the Firth of Forth, not Moray. Leith marina was indeed Granton Harbour, the area our family regard as ours. Muirhouse also the home of 'Trainspotting as you know.'
    You did well to miss the city, traffic and people make it impossible unless you like crowds.
    Durham looks great, spent an hour or two there a while back and wish to see again.
    Beamish looks great! I can see how six hours fly by.
    What great photos, makes me want to get out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr A I've amended it, the Moray Firth is by Inverness and lots of dolphins and porpoises in it too. I enjoyed Leith and Muirhouse and pleased we saw them. Beamish and DUrham are really worth a visit.

      Delete
  3. I've given up trying to blog while traveling, and just do it when I'm done there is so much to do in camp with the dogs and such...Awesome trip Dave, so much history to explore there...and the Cathedrals look massive!!

    ReplyDelete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave