© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Time to get a new one......


..........a saddle that is.

In 60 plus years of cycling I've never had a saddle sore, until recently.  Initially I put it down to different cycle shorts, maybe the saddle had been knocked slightly out of position, perhaps my legs had got shorter with age.  None of these so I tried another Brooks saddle from my other bike and it was much better.  So time to get a replacement.

The old one on the top was maybe 15 years old and was well worn into my shape and was so comfortable it was like sitting in a favorite chair.  The leather had stretched so much that I needed a longer tension bolt at the front.

I bought the new Saddle from Chain Reaction who had a good deal going and it was delivered by Yodel, well not exactly as I ended up going to the depot to collect it.  Yodel dont have a good reputation but the people in the depot were very pleasant and helpful......maybe to make up for the delivery drivers??

I put the two saddles on the workbench initially to proof the new one but also compare, the new B17 is 1cm wider so maybe the old one was a narrow B17.  


The hammock?





After fitting it I went for a little ride as I knew there would be some adjustments needed and as the old saddle was more of a hammock I had to lower the seat post to take into account the height of the new saddle. 
It'll take a while to break in but thats the joy of a Brooks saddle.

15 comments:

  1. I once had a bike with an extremely narrow saddle! I am not sure what sort of masochist that was made for.
    The improvement from a new one was wonderful. I know my present saddle is a little worn but it might be easier getting a new bike rather than a saddle! After Brexit I fear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saddles are so important and yet you never know if you have bought the right one until you've done some miles on it. After Brexit......I dread the thought.!!

      Delete
  2. Many miles on the old saddle for sure! I can relate when thinking of the Saddle I used for my horse! I could not enjoy a ride on any saddle but my own no matter what horse was under me. Good luck hope it breaks in well and gives you years of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it had done a few miles Sondra and all of them enjoyable and good memories. so it owes me nothing.

      Delete
  3. The new saddle is going to take a while to take on the shape of the old one that's for sure Dave!
    A leather saddle is just so 'right' though isn't it! I'm really pleased with mine, even though breaking it in proved a tad uncomfortable to start with. I've also got a Charge Spoon - it cost £18 and was comfy from day one, but Im uch prefer the leather saddle - it's just the proper deal. Breaking them in, feeding the leather etc is just all part of the long term commitment, all part of the pleasure of owning something crafted rather than just flung out of a machine.
    Good luck with the breaking in, hope it gets comfy quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mick, I did 30 miles on it yesterday and it wasn't too bad, it will definitely be comfier than the old one. They are a nice addition to a bike though, that blend of the old and modern. Saddle comfort is so personal and I know people who have ridden L E to J o G on an Aldi saddle and were perfectly comfortable.

      Delete
  4. Nice to meet a kindred spirit, Dave. I have ridden on B17s all my life (80 in December). The first amendment I made to my new e-bike was a B17 to replace the squashy item that it came with.
    Ebike? I have cycled all my life (life member of the CTC) but after a stroke I needed help to keep turning the pedals, so sold all 6 bikes (also a member of the Veteran-Cycle Club - note the essential hyphen!), bought an ebike and continued to enjoy 2 wheels. As Churchill had it "KBO" - keep buggering on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avus, good for you. I'm sure the sales of e bikes in the next 5 + years will rocket. Yes KBO. Our club is Spokes and is a CTC club but we are non geographical. All the best.

      Delete
  5. I love Brooks saddles... I have a Brooks Swift on the Tifosi and a Brooks Professional on the Touring bike.... My mate JD who cycled back to the UK from Gibraltar with me was using a B17 and he swears by it.......
    I have never had a problem breaking them in..... When I bought the Brooks Professional I put it on the bike and immediately rode LEJOG with no breaking in period... it was comfort the whole way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trevor, I think because my old Brooks was such a hammock shape and had moulded its self to my shape that I notice the difference. Its not uncomfortable just firmer and I've already ridden about 200 miles no problem and I'm very pleased with it. It was time for the old one to be retired as I was on the longest nose bolt possible!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, cowboy, looks like you are back in the saddle again. Happy Trails!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wanda, it was time for a new one.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave