© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Thursday, November 22, 2018

Deep Country





A friend lent me this book.

For 5 years Neil Ansell lived alone in a remote Welsh cottage with no modern day conveniences.   He doesn't give the actual location of the cottage and I suspect many readers will have spent time pouring over OS maps trying to locate it.  Me included.

The story is not so much about his life there but more about the nature and wildlife that he sees on a daily basis .  He describes the wildlife and their behaviors in great detail. 

Its an easy read and particularly enjoyable if you're interested in birds.

6 comments:

  1. I used to want to do that very thing only not go away to a cabin, but drop out of mainstream life...heck who am I kidding I still want to!! LoL It sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After looking at your video Sondra you live in a nice area, lots of space. wildlife and yet near enough to local amenities when you need them. Now that I'm older I appreciate having things nearby like the countryside but also the convenience of local healthcare, transport and shops.

      Delete
  2. That's on my Amazon wish list of books I'll get around to buying one day. It sounds right up my street so I may have to get it bought soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a great read Mick and he's very detailed and descriptive when he's describing the local patch where he lives. He brings it alive. Whilst I like to get away from it all sometimes, I couldn't / wouldn't want to live permanently like he did. As a youngster I was brought up on a small holding similar to his cottage, where we had no running water, no amenities in the house and a fair way from anything, so I've no wish to return permanently to that. I think I have managed to locate where he lived, which was just outside Newbridge on Wye.

      Delete
  3. He was on the radio a while back and while I like the country I also like things nearby.
    A few weeks away is one thing but with no mod cons?
    I suspect it was a good read but I will not copy him, maybe just a walk in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the countryside too, but also appreciate the proximity of a town.

      Delete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave