© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Mono pod......home made.



With the zoom fully extended on my Canon 720 SX there are many times when a rest of some sort would be handy, just to take full advantage of the zoom.

After having a look on line to get some ideas and as  I had a small tripod and a walking pole spare I thought I'd have a go.

Unfortunately I only thought about doing this post after I'd done the job, so there are no "before" pictures.

I dismantled the tripod and removed the camera mount screw from the tripod socket,  This screw is on a shaft, with a ball on the end. 




I removed the handle from the walking pole, this slid off easily.  If it doesn't, pop it into some very hot water so the handle expands, then it should be easy to remove.  

Once off, I levelled the top of the handle by hack sawing it flat, don't cut too much off.  Sand the top and edges.  I drilled a hole for the camera screw.  After unscrewing  the base plate [ the large knurled bit]  I dropped it down the handle and threaded it through the hole.  This is the fiddly bit and it took a few goes.  Once through, the ball on the end stops it going all the way through.  It needed a couple of washers to step up to the start of the thread, I super glued these in place, and then the base plate was screwed on to make a snug fit.

To make it more secure it, I also put some silicone sealant into the handle to stop the ball end moving around.  I let the silicon set overnight and then put the handle back on the walking pole shaft. 













The quickest way to fix the mono pod is to screw it onto the camera by just twirling it around.




It works OK and is very easy to carry around .........especially as it's a walking pole!   























14 comments:

  1. HOW cool and what a great idea I have the same problem my camera waves up and down when it's zoomed! Perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its like you would do Sondra, and its very satisfying to make something useful out of things you have lying around. Never throw things away as they may come in useful and if on the off chance you do throw something as sure as eggs are eggs it will be just the piece you need later on for a project.

      Delete
  2. I have a Sony Cybershot with a 20x zoom. Lots of technical gizmos, but like you, the zoom is practically unusable without a tripod/support. Your pole idea seems perfect. I, too, have a small tripod like yours - I think I shall perform the same surgery on it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find it useful. Its much more convenient to carry around than a tripod. You must do a post on it.

      Delete
  3. Excellent bit of home brew. Looks just the job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Dave..how clever. You remind me of my Dad who could make or fix anything. I remember my mom saying she never got anything new, because if it broke, Dad would fix it. Wondered why we always had a old toaster, old vacuum cleaner, haha...Really it was nice to have a Dad who could fix things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of a Dads roles Wanda. I still get phone calls from the kids to come and sort something out.

      Delete
  5. Good effort Dave, simple idea that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr A, ....it keeps me off the streets!!

      Delete
  6. Good job you've done there Dave - ideal! It'll make things a lot easier when it comes to getting those long range shots. Easier than faffing about with a tripod too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mick, even with the compact SX its virtually impossible to hold it still when zoomed in on a subject.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave