© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Downton Abbey


Well its Highclere Castle really, and was the setting for the TV Series.  The house on certain days throws its doors open for the public, but as its the residence of Lord and Lady Caernarfon access inside the house is limited, but the grounds and gardens are open.  An earlier Lord Carnarfon was the one who discovered Tutankhamen's tomb and there's a very interesting exhibition attached to the house.

The tour itself was very well organised and the guides were helpful and knowledgeable.  The food in the cafe was reasonably priced, despite what we read on TripAdvisor.  Its run along the lines of a National Trust property.   There were a no photographs policy inside the house and Egyptian exhibition.

We have been passing the entrance for years when we visit our daughter so we decided to book up and go.  I'm not a big fan of Downton Abbey but the ones I watched I enjoyed, and the visit was a good day out.



The grounds are cleverly landscaped so that all you get is a countryside view, and any towns  or villages are neatly obscured.














12 comments:

  1. I think I prefer the house to the programme!
    It's a shame security means no photographs indoors, I suspect there is much to picture.
    Looks worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its worth a visit and like all of these places its interesting to see how and where they live.

      Delete
  2. Imagine having tourists walking around your house and gardens, but I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The furnishings are fantastic and all period, but it's a lived in place.

      Delete
  3. I must be one of the few people on the planet never to have seen a single episode of Downton, but it has completely evaded me somehow.

    I love how the gardens have been cleverly landscaped to hide villages and so on, brilliant idea.

    The house looks nice, but I'd hate to pay the heating bills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never watched the series when it was on , but picked up a couple of DVD's in a charity shop and watched those.

      Delete
  4. Really beautiful!!! LOve those yellow tulips.....My X (who is British) told me stories of the Lord, he said he was cursed for opening up Tut's tomb and was bitten by some weird spider and that killed him?? Is that the legend you heard? I also never watched Downton, but the Castle is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats the legend. Aparently he cut himself shaving, which became infected and he died from that. The amazing part of the curse was that Tutunkamun also died of an infection in the same spot as lord Caernarvon.

      Delete
  5. Some years ago I attended a classic car rally at Highclere. I was driving a bright
    red E-Type for the rally.. Happy days...Thanks for reminding me of some past times..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that was an experience. I'm envious.

      Delete
  6. Very pretty the house and landscaping is, too bad you couldn't get pictures inside, tho that is understandable being people still living there.

    ReplyDelete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave