© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Save our Libraries

Posted by Picasa

This picture captures two current themes. 
The first one is the threatened closure of some of our public libraries due to the spending cutbacks of local government.  Once they are lost they will never be replaced, but luckily the campaign to protect them is gathering momentum with many authors and celebrities putting their names to the fight against closures.
The second is that I am reading a library booked called Forgotten Voices of the First World War, which is extracts from soldiers letters and diary entries.  Its very moving to say the least. 

4 comments:

  1. I hope they will never be replaced by e-books.

    I read some WWI letters a couple of years ago. Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awful they would close libraries - yet I suspect e-books will rule the day sooner or later which would in fact save many trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad people are speaking out against the library closures. That would be a sad day if that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cuts and closures it's only when things become extinct anyone takes note - when it's too late. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave