© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Cheltenham and the longest day.

 Lets start with the sunrise taken from the van window at about 4 am.


The weather for the whole of this little trip was glorious, sunny but not too hot and only a few cloudy spells, my sort of weather.
We came away for a few days to have a wander and also take a ride on the recently opened Gloucester and Warwickshire Steam Railway.


It runs from Cheltenham Racecourse to Broadway through some stunning Cotswold scenery.







Broadway is extremely popular with tourists as its a typical Cotswolds village, all the houses are very well kept and very expensive.  As is the whole of the Cotswolds when it comes to eating and having a cup of tea.  All very nice and good to look at but not my place to live even if I won the Lottery.




Unlike other Cotswold villages the main street is wide and I would guess the reason for the name.







On a walk into Cheltenham we had a wander around just to sample the grandeur of the Regency buildings.

This is the Pittsville Pump Rooms where George III and Queen Charlotte came to take the waters.  They are still being pumped but apparently taste foul.  It's open to the public so we had a look inside.


During its heyday and orchestra sat in this balcony and played for the gentry who promenaded below.



The Pump Rooms are situated in a park with a very polluted stream running through so I was  surprised to see this Little Egret.


Some more grand houses.




Staying on the campsite was this man who is working his way around Britain on his mobility scooter towing a very small home made caravan.

Here is his website 


Finally the sunset of the longest day.



and time for a beer.

.




8 comments:

  1. What a fun post!! Its good to how the upper crust live but I'm like you I wouldn't trade my simple life for theirs, I would give it to someone else who would enjoy it. My X used to ride at Cheltenham! He was a steeplechase jockey in his younger days and he was in the RAVC. I have some of his old racing photos and some may be from there...small world. The little tear drop camper is really something I can't believe he tows it with a motorized wheel chair? Wow very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sondra, it is a small world isn't it. I bet that was an experience to race at Cheltenham I those old photos will be fascinating.. I dont follow racing but my son goes every year to watch the Gold Cup and so does half of Ireland. We were camping there last year and they had horse sales. The prices were astronomical. It is a very rich town and nice to wander around but not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chap going around Britain on a mobility scooter is incredible! What an undertaking that is.

    Interesting and well illustrated tour around there Dave, but yes, whilst the villages around there are seriously beautiful I wouldn't want to live in one.

    Dawn is a magical time isn't it - more so on the longest day.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Mick, what he doing is amazing. The Cotswold villages are just that bit too perfect for me, but they certainly bring in the tourists.
    The Solstices are magical and I can understand why the crowds gather at Stonehenge and other ancient places to watch the sun rise through the stones.Maybe I'll do that one year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand why you would not wish to live there no matter how interesting the houses.
    You might keep meeting Cameron, Brookes and Clarkson and that would not be welcome.
    Fancy place, worth a visit but expensive I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've hit the nail on the head Mr A. Yes i's an expensive area but good to visit. It's also very interesting to cycle around especially the small lanes as you then get a flavour of rural life

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you say Dave it is an interesting place to cycle around but very expensive for everything....
    Since we set out fulltiming back in 2015 we have come across the guy on the mobility scooter and teardrop caravan on three different occasions...The mileage he is clocking up is huge...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trevor at this time of year especially its mainly tourists that you see, as I expect the locals have all gone to Tuscany or somewhere similar.

    ReplyDelete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave