© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Bike ride


Nothing great about this post other than I got fed up with looking at the last post and all the distress those floods caused.

Although the news at the moment is not good, but the worse thing I've read today is that in a few weeks the Government is going to issue guidance that the over the 70's will be required to self isolate.  That's an end to  our cycle club  rides as many of us fall into this category.

So despite the early downpours today I managed a ride and it ended in beautiful sunshine. It was a solo ride and with no firm destination it ended as a bit of a valleys tour.

The next two pictures are views from the top of Penrhys looking down into Ferndale



This is in Tonypandy a memorial to the Tonypandy Riots in 1910 -11.

A lot has been written about these riots and the troops were called in by Winston Churchill  to help the police retain order.  This is often disputed, but the outcome was that Churchill's standing in the valley towns hit a low.



The river Ely and the trail running alongside..



This section was full of birds and birdsong,  and a joy to cycle it.


Always time for tea.


The view from the Garth mountain with Cardiff in the distance.



As always good to be out and the route is on Strava on the side panel.

Who knows what will happen in the coming weeks, initially I thought that there was a lot of panic over Corvid 19 when compared to a "normal" flu epidemic. now I'm not so sure.

12 comments:

  1. Glad you took your bike ride, Dave despite the news we are all flooded with. Life will go on. This is not the first or last disaster we will all face. I'm not taking it lightly, but certainly not in a panic. Because my dearest is in the high risk category being 82 and having serious health issues. We are staying in. Have our cupboards stocked, and will enjoy our life together. Most churches are not having services, and we will watch John MacArthur's church live stream on our computer. Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wanda. With Don's health you are doing the right thing, and if it comes to it yes I will have to stay in but cabin fever sets in very quickly with me. I imagine for you living in your complex, there is always plenty of support. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures. I'm glad you had the chance to take a bike ride. This whole thing is panicking people unnecessarily. Yes, we should make wise choices, but not go crazy with it. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think thats the right way to go Kathy, careful and sensible.

      Delete
  3. Hope the floods effects are down now here many are having to rebuild their fishing docks and such...and the virus scare is awful...Im glad you got out and enjoy a solo ride, it's a beautiful route you took and I know you enjoyed the birdsong too. Have a good week..and stay clear of crowds if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least to day the weather here is more uplifting than the news, there's sunshine and birdsong, what better to lift the spirits. Hopefully the spring weather will continue. If these travel exclusions come in then thats the end of our tour of the coast of Scotland that we had planned. We shall see. All the best to you too.

      Delete
  4. My wife and I are both 81. She is in the high risk group as she has low immune system due to rheumatoid arthritis, so we are both going into voluntary isolation.
    But this does not mean not getting out into the fresh air. I can take her for drives and I shall still continue to cycle. But I shall do it alone and won't call into cafes, for her sake as I don't want to bring the virus home to infect her. It will be like old times when I couldn't afford to buy food in cafes and took my own flask and sandwiches.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avus, we're 10 years younger but a similar situation in that my wife is asthmatic, so if I go out I dont want to infect her. Whilst out on the bike alone is good fun I will miss the chat and banter of riding in a group.

      Delete
  5. Great photos when enlarged! Especially the last. Well done!
    Glad you were able to get put and about, good for the soul.
    Being outside, trees, fields, views, even when wet, give a great lift.
    I felt it looking at the pictures.
    The virus is dangerous, and my sister and man are well into the old group!
    However she will still go to hairdressers, he will still go swimming twice a week (he's 83) if the pool is open, and take care but carry on. Mostly of course they lodge inside anyway like I do.
    Enjoyed the post.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr A and you look after yourself too.

      Delete
  6. Just popped over from my blog to say hello. It seems like your solitary bike rides will be the new norm. Lovely views. I have to say, we were out in the garden, hard at work yesterday, and it just felt like a normal spring day - then you watch the news and it's all too scarily real. We're in the high risk group here as I have severe chronic asthma and my husband is 79 . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bovey,
      Thanks for the comment. You live in a nice part and probably one of the better places to be right now. I've listed your blog so will keep on reading.

      Delete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave