© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

How many bikes do you need?


To the cyclists this is never an issue but often it is for non cyclists.

However the formula for deciding this is  n + 1 [where n = your current number of bikes]

The reason why this came up was that I was at a loose end on a sunny afternoon and decided to wash my bikes and my wife asked asked the question.  I dont know why, as she has asked it many times before, so she should know the answer by now.

Here's my "stable".


Dawes Super Galaxy
Genesis Croix de Fer

Raleigh Competition

Boardman MtB

Only one of them is "new" and thats the Genesis, built up in 2015, the Dawes is 1994, the Raleigh is 1980 ish, and the Boardman was cobbled together from bits and pieces.


The top two get regular maintenance as they're used for long rides and the Raleigh get taken out on dry sunny days.
The Boardman is the workhorse, and is used on a daily basis for shopping etc and gets taken for granted,  so when I washed and cleaned it I found that 1. the front wheel bearings were loose and 2. so was the bottom bracket.  After the wash it got a bit of TLC to make it right again.

The moral of this post is to regularly wash and clean your bikes as its the best time to check them over for wear and tear and to spot if any bits are loose.


4 comments:

  1. WoW! You have one for almost every type terrain. Great tip! You would fall over to see how neglected my bike is, and probably want to take it away from me and give it to someone more deserving, it def needs some TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking collection of bikes there, and all very practically modified too with good mudguards and racks etc. (A Genesis CdF is on my wish list by the way, just not sure how my back would cope with a harder ride and narrower bars).
    Like my bikes, yours will all offer something a bit different, even if at first glance they might appear similar, but that's the beauty of the bicycle and the rider being so much part of the machine - you are aware of every slight difference in the machine and the affect it has on the ride, be it frame material or size, stem length or bar width, tyre size and so on.

    As for keeping them clean, I cop a lot of flack from my neighbour for having bikes that are 'too clean', but a clean and well lubed/maintained bike rides better and you can't beat wheeling out a pristine bike at the start of a ride. Plus, cleaning is the one time you get to run your hands and eyes over the whole bike and find any issues. My answer to my neighbour now is 'that's not too clean mate, that's just well looked after' which is a bit smug/snobby sounding, but still, t'is true!
    As for THAT question from the wife, an examination of her shoe collection will often provide good ammunition for multiple bike ownership, if my ex wives are anything to go by anyway! (there might be a reason they're ex wives mind you, so my advice may not be the best...!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need another bike! When we downsized to live in the RV, we both had to jettison multiple bikes; it was very painful. At present we each have a road and a mountain bike. I'd really like to have hybrids as well, but there is nowhere to put them. The other painful part of downsizing for my husband was getting rid of all his dress shoes. I had no issues, having converted to working from home in sweats. The Dawes has good fenders, I can see the mud guard, which is very important for keeping water from hitting the shins and running into the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, but I can see your point with all the riding you do. I'm ashamed to say I don't ride the only one I have.

    ReplyDelete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave