© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Friday, June 07, 2019

European trip

Part one.


We spent most of May wandering through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
The main reason for the trip was to visit Switzerland and the Alps and the other places we stayed at were on our route there and back and I've only posted the stops where we stayed longer than a day.

  As May is the low season I didn't book sites so weren't tied to any route, and so we had overnighters mainly in France and Luxembourg, but our first stay was in the Black Forest at Kirchzarten.  At the campsite, you pay the local taxes but in return get a travel pass for buses trains and trams within a certain area, not a bad deal I thought.








The Kirchzarten stork, which has been coming for many years, has its nest on the church, with a webcam so that the locals can keep an eye on the chicks.






 The old mill house. 



Judging from the houses in the town I would guess that Kirchzarten is a fairly affluent place. 



and how's this for a town hall. 



No shortage of wood here. 


Using our travel pass we went to Freiburg.





Bicycles are used a lot here and everywhere caters for them.  The trails in the forest are well signposted and well looked after so consequently they are well used.




As we were crossing the road we got caught up in a legalise cannabis march.



There's a good reason why you don't have to book sites as May is often wet and cold, and it was, so after leaving Kirchzarten, we went down to the German Austrian border.





16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Dave.. What a wonderful Month of May you had. I simply love the pictures, and feel like maybe I was tagging along! Love the stork nest and chicks. We have a bald eagle in a nest near us and with the naked eye can watch her feed the two chicks, which are getting bigger by the week. Thanks for your visit and kind words. So happy to be back to "normal" haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wanda, good to hear from you and pleased everything is going ok. Yes May has been exciting and enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. That nest and the structure of the place really wowed me! Europe is really such a destination esp for buildings and old towns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stevehan, thanks for the comments. Yes there is such a lot to see and as you say, so much history. Hope you'll visit again and see the other posts.

      Delete
  3. OH MY what a trip!! All places I will probably never see so very happy to enjoy it via your camera. Love the stork, and I agree it looks very posh there...excellent idea of giving out the bus/train passes it encourages more tourism into town...is that your van? It's awesome!! Looking forward to more of your trip photos. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh forgot to add,,,were you marching for or against or are you neutral...it hardly matters to me at this point,I don't need any drug to dim my wit... if I become any more laid back and relaxed I'll just disappear---lol

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sondra, yes thats the van. The only drugs I need now are Ibruprofin or paracetamol !
      We had a very rainy day yesterday too wet to do anything so I wrote up the trip in 4 posts. I took so many pictures so the hard bit was deciding which ones to use to tell the "story". I'm in awe of bloggers who write their posts as they go along because by the time I get back to the van after being out all day all I want is to eat and then rest up.
      I enjoyed the trip especially the Alps. All the best.

      Delete
    3. Haha yes me too...I tripped out in my yard a couple weeks ago, and it still hurts! What one could easily brush off is now days of recovery. I look forward to you Alps posts. I agree it is hard to write as you go and especially if you don't have internet connections...I face that when I travel unless I really get organized and go to a library or find some free wifi and when your at camp there is so much to do hardly time for writing.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great trip.... Did you manage to cycle any of the awesome cols in Switzerland that are just made for the bike...? (Although thinking about it a lot of the passes would still be blocked with snow in May......) Nice pictures of the trip Dave...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only local riding Trevor, which was good. Cyclists are very well catered for in Germany and Switzerland. On reflection September is a better time to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the houses and the Town Hall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave