© all rights reserved.


Just click on the pictures to enlarge.

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Taffs Well Park

A couple of firsts for me today.

The first was a walk to the park as I hadn't seen the  Remembrance Day seats and statues.




or the latest work on the Well, which has quite a history as can be seen from the notice boards.





The old thermal swimming pool


The naturally hot water from the Well is being pumped to the nearby school and will be used for heating purposes.

"With its natural flow of warm water it is soon to embark upon a new lease of life as the common source of energy for two water-to-water heat pump projects. One scheme will provide heating for the nearby Park Pavilion and the other will meet the demands from the local Primary School.  

Heat will be extracted through heat exchangers connected to the existing discharge pipe leading to the river and transferred in insulated pipes to the new heat pumps at the Park Pavilion and School. There will be no change in the Spring flows to the river other than to have a lower temperature water of some 10 degrees C."  from NuVision Energy Wales 
https://www.nuvisionenergywales.co.uk/taff-s-well





Also I had my first ride since the operation and it was good to get back on the bike.
I took the folder and  was pleasantly pleased that it wasn't as painful sitting as I had expected.  I only did a couple of miles but its a start. 



10 comments:

  1. Real good to see you out on the bike again.
    A couple of miles is a good start.
    I didn't realise this was hot thermals.
    That must have been a good swimming pool in its day.
    Glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr A, yes apparently its Wales's only thermal spring. I dont expect H&S wont allow that pool today.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dave, so thrilled for you getting out and enjoying a ride...using the hot water to heat a school, that is a brilliant idea. I like that bench, and the reminders of the history. A couple miles to me is very impressive. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sondra, I'm not sure how the water will be used as its only about 21 C at the well but there is bound to be a saving somewhere along the line. I'll see if there's more information somewhere.

      Delete
  3. Excellent Dave! I am so pleased that you are on the bike again. Two miles is a good start. I hope to see other posts as you build up your mileage again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Avus, you'll appreciate that feeling of being back on the bike again. Hope all is well with you and even if you haven't been able to get out I bet you have been busy in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Dave. I had my 83rd birthday in December and, thanks to e-assistance I am still able to manage 30 miles or so for a ride. I find it's not the legs that limit me, but arthritis in wrists and back which need a break every so often. Perhaps I need a higher handlebar, although that would put more weight on the spine.

    Just off to a local country cafe (https://www.facebook.com/TheCosyKettle/) on the bike for a light lunch. A round trip of a mere 17 miles, but it gets me out and about and I get to talk to other club cyclists who come in.

    There's hope for all in extension of cycling life with the advent of e-bikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avus, a belated Happy Birthday.
    Have you tried ergonomic handlebar grips, I use them on my folder with its straight bars and find them very comfortable as I can rest the heel of my hand on them.
    The Cosy Kettle looks good especially with the promotion offer. Most cafes like these love it when a group of hungry cyclist arrive. There is one cafe we use in Cowbridge. Happy Days, who always gives us a few free biscuits on top of our order.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pleased to see that you have managed to get back on the bike..... The mileage really doesn't matter as that will increase with time....Just enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor, I can't believe it but I have pulled a muscle in my leg. Not really surprising I suppose as its been a while since I've ridden.

      Delete

As you have taken the time to read my blog and comment then whenever possible I will always reply. Thank you. Dave